Chris O'Donnell - Helping dentists grow, one practice at a time
RSS Follow

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Superheroes Saving Lives!
The Experience
Increase your patient flow in 60 minutes a month!
3 Reasons why your staff leaves

Practice Management
Procrastination
Recession
responsibility
Robots
Sales
sales, opportunity, dental, case acceptance
Social Media
staff retention
Superheroes
team motivation
technology
powered by

My Blog

The Experience

I spent a good part of my weekend helping my wife move her business. She is a group fitness instructor. The amount of people attending her classes outgrew the space. A great problem to have, I know. The downside, of course, is finding a appropriate space with a wood floor and mostly unobstructed views of the teacher.

She spent months looking around but always knowing there was only one place in our city that fit her needs. Opensquare in Holyoke is an old mill that is slowly being resurrected as a green net energy space that houses businesses, event space and now, my wife's business.

The space that she is moving into is 30,000 square feet of an old machine shop. There is beautiful wood floors, exposed brick, and a fantastic view of the city and the first of its kind canal system. Unfortunately the wood floors are caked with grease and dirt from the years of being a working mill. This is where my story begins.

We rented a couple of orbital floor sanders to try to make the floors usable. We spent 5 hours of our Saturday using the scrub brush attachments to remove the grease and grime. We got very poor results. The next morning I spend a couple hundred dollars on screens (sandpaper) to hopefully cut through the grease and get to the beautiful wood. 6 hours later, we had cleared a small portion of the floor. Most of the the farther reaches were still mostly covered with grime.

I thought that it was good enough. People would have to understand that it was a work in progress and we would eventually get the floors looking good. My wife would just have to instruct her students to only wear their sneakers to this class, because the soles would track the grease anywhere else. I was done, we had spent 11 hours and a good amount of money. It would just have to do.

My wife kept trying to figure out ways to get the floors looking like new. She was researching how to refinish them and testing different degreasers to see what we could use to get the floors right. I said it would just have to do. We almost had a fight over the amount of time and money we would need to get this space perfect by October 1st. Every conversation was about how to clean the floors. I was hesitant to even try anything more. Until, it hit me.

The floors had nothing to do with special sneakers, or tracking grease, or even the safety of her students. It was all about the experience! My wife wanted her students to have a certain kind of experience in her classes and greasy floor was not part of that. This experience could not be compromised. Because without the right experience, her students would come less often and even worse, wouldn't refer their friends. It was one of her non-negotiable.

Now, think about your patient experience. Do you make compromises to your patient experiences? Does the cost or the time investment prevent you from offering an exceptional experience? Does the fear of change come before what is best for your patients?

Digital X-ray is a great example. It is probably now considered a standard of care. Even more important to your practice than that is the experience it provides. Patients now understand what you are explaining and can take ownership of their oral health. This is an experience! A MD that has a digital CT scan so they can educate the patient. The fact that insurance is only covering $37 of the scan is irrelevant. They know they need to provide an experience.

Patients are thinking longer about how they spend their money. They not only want the best health, but they want an experience. Give them more than they want when they visit your dental office. Don't compromise on the experience you offer. The patient is what keeps your doors open. The patient is what pays your bills. Give them the best experience possible.

You will find, if you give them the experience, the benefits will far outweigh the investment.

15 Comments to The Experience :

Comments RSS
rushessays.com on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:08 AM
I was hesitant to even try anything more. Until, it hit me.

creer un site on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:00 AM
In addition to the courses, Patterson offers a trade show showcasing their most trusted partners, fantastic food, and team building fun.

replica rolex on Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:29 AM
thanks for that blog and keep posting.

straightening machine on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:14 AM

IT Governance on Friday, September 27, 2013 1:28 AM

Schweizer Replicas Uhr on Friday, November 01, 2013 9:36 AM
Armbanduhr und vor der Einf眉hrung der beiden, ist auch die 49 mm gro脽e Me脽durchmesser angenommen hat Material Edelstahl und 18 k Rotgold zwei zur Auswahl. Tiefe wasserdichte Armbanduhr selbst ist auch nur 100 Meter .

assignment experts on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:29 AM
I love my car. Car painting is much important as we wear the clothes. So providing some quality paint services in the town is pretty impressive. I have Mercedes benz in my garage. You guys are proving any home services ?

Eleston on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 4:12 AM
I am very happy to reading the whole content of in the post. This story is very interesting and informative for everyone visitor. I am appreciate in the work. Thanks for sharing in the post. garage racking systems in uk

assignment writer on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:25 AM
From experience you are able to gain almost goal in life that we have been planning to get from a while. It has been all about the ideas which we are trying to make better from the very first time.

loemrntdherid1 on Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:11 AM
Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

research paper writing service reviews on Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:53 AM
Amazing article. I am so impressed. Could never think of such a thing is possible with it...I think you have a great knowledge especially while dealings with such subjects.

Steve on Saturday, June 23, 2018 5:30 AM
I really increase your acquisition. It is really very informative post for young people and hope they will enjoy well after reading this post. playground tiles at best price

Dave on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 6:20 AM
I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Thanks for sharing this post. best toy box

Jaime on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:42 AM
I need to to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read. I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new information on your blog. I really like to it for here. Buy best quality gym mats

epdm rubber roofing from UK on Friday, July 27, 2018 8:49 AM
Thank you for any other magnificent post. Where else may just anybody get that kind of information in such an ideal means of writing?