Chris O'Donnell - Helping dentists grow, one practice at a time
RSS Follow

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Superheroes Saving Lives!
The Experience
Increase your patient flow in 60 minutes a month!
3 Reasons why your staff leaves

Practice Management
Procrastination
Recession
responsibility
Robots
Sales
sales, opportunity, dental, case acceptance
Social Media
staff retention
Superheroes
team motivation
technology
powered by

My Blog

I wish my staff would just...........

How many times have you said the above phrase to yourself? I cannot tell you how many time I've heard the same phrase come from my clients. Most dentists have the same 10 concerns in running their small business. Staff is usually one of, if not the top, in that list.

I have managed many different types of people over the years. At one point I had a staff of 40 while I worked in the restaurant business. Restaurant staffs are tough! Much like every server in LA is aspiring to the film industry or every cook in New York City wants to be the next Gordon Ramsay, even restaurant workers here in Western Massachusetts are something else first, a wife, a father, a musician, a teacher. Working in a restaurant is just a means to end, not a career choice for most. Conversely, your staff members have chosen the dental industry.  This indicates at the very least an innate interest in the field.  How can this help you in your management strategy?

Your staff is engaged in dentistry even before you hire them. They spent a great deal of time working to acquire the skills to work in your office. They did it on their own, without even knowing you or your patients. Now they'll use their skills to do a great job for you! All you need to do, is be the inspiration to get them to do just that.

My wife  taught me the best management technique I ever learned. Keep in mind, she taught me this while she was my employee. Each person has a different motivation. Some of your staff might respond to a simple "great job today." Others may thrive on the special task that you asked them specifically to do. Your assistant may only need direction taking comfort in the routine.

Take the time to learn what each person needs to stay motivated. Use different techniques on each of your staff. Pat them on the back and say "Great job!" Make them a leader of a department for a day. Ask them about their ideas to improve the patient experience. I once  had an employee that seemed to respond best after he was disciplined. If you take the time to learn, then use what you learn at the appropriate time. You'll find some, maybe most,  of your staff problems may go away.

16 Comments to I wish my staff would just...........:

Comments RSS
best website hosting on Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:04 AM
Simply brilliant concept! I am totally surprised to read this wonderful bit consists of team motivation, coaching and customer services inspiration. I enjoyed this sounds as well. I am looking forward to see ahead of the best management technique I ever learned. Thanks!
Reply to comment

bid4papers reddit on Monday, June 11, 2018 12:32 AM
If you’re a business owner, you should always give proper acknowledgement for the service that your workers and staffs have done. You should always keep them inspired and motivated to become productive in their job. These people are the heart of your business. Most of the time, these people are the ones who have a direct contact with the customers. So we really should build a better relationship on our staffs by treating them properly and respect their rights as employees in your business or in your company.

Josh Grasser on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:56 AM
Coaching and customer services inspiration are very impressive look at all! Just pleased to read about this entry and all points are very helpful to me. Thanks the head up! :lol:
Reply to comment

Schweizer Replicas Uhr on Friday, November 01, 2013 9:37 AM
nur in einer M盲rchenprinzessin Frisur , R茅pliques montre luxe , die auch die Namen der Quell dieser Uhr gefallen .
Reply to comment

http://www.essaywriting-service.org on Sunday, February 01, 2015 8:25 AM
Exquisitely professional thoughts. I merely hit upon this web site and desired to enunciate that I've definitely delighted in reckoning your blog articles or blog posts. Rest assured I'll subsist pledging to your RSS and I wish you write-up after much more shortly))&&((
Reply to comment

Brinda Jack on Saturday, October 07, 2017 4:24 AM
It is very linteresting to read :)
Reply to comment

term papers on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:55 PM
Cooperation is very nice thing that takes you at very high level of respect. If you respect others, than other peoples are respect you in the form of double. Similarly if you are director of any company, hotel or restaurant than you should be polite to staff if you want to successful because if you respect your staff then they work as their own company.
Reply to comment

help with essay on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:47 AM
I have been examinating out some of your stories and i can state pretty nice stuff. I look forward your next article.
Reply to comment

www.assignmentuk.co.uk on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:49 AM
I genuinely gotten in examining your article. I found this as an instructive and captivating post, so I think it is extraordinarily profitable and capable. I might need to thank you for the effort you have made in making this article.
Reply to comment

Ninja Essays on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:09 AM
It made me happy to get inspiration.

Essay Mama on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:12 AM
It is worthwhile to mention your skills.

ninjaessays writing on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:14 AM
Height of awesomeness is going to be fine.

ninjaessay.com on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:15 AM
It is all time leading

loemrntdherid1 on Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:11 AM
Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.
Reply to comment

John on Monday, June 25, 2018 8:26 AM
I am really impressed with this blog. I think you have a great knowledge especially while dealings with such subjects. Thanks for sharing this post. anti fatigue mats in uk
Reply to comment

Kelly on Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:06 AM
I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I love informative blogs and this is one of them. rubber flooring for industrial use
Reply to comment